Warriors to sign J.J. Hickson

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:00 am
http://blog.sfgate.com/warriors/2012/03 ... j-hickson/

The Warriors have emerged as the frontrunner to sign power forward J.J. Hickson after he clears waivers, according to HoopsWorld.

Hickson, who was waived by Sacramento on Monday, will clear waivers in 48 hours and league sources expect him to sign with Golden State. The 23-year-old played 35 games for the Kings before the two sides agreed to a buyout. He has averaged 8.5 points and 5.6 rebounds in his four-year career.

The Warriors currently have two open roster spots.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 am
Hope they don't. Any help is not wanted right now. Keep the losing going and play the young players

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 am
HAHA it's funny how you "no help is needed right now" but I have the same sentiment. I don't want him helping this team win, save that for next year. Not bad coming of the bench, don't know much about the guy just that he put up #'s while in Cleveland, but their were issues with Hickson mainly on the defensive end, am not sure why he fell of the radar to being waived but there are reasons.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 am
Yea, team has remote chance of keeping the lottery pick, still a chance.

Hickson did quite well in Cleveland so he can perform and maybe he could be an option for next seaon, though I'd rather have Turiaf and his energy and shotblocking

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am
Whatever they decide to do, I hope they pick a direction. If you're gonna go for the playoffs, make a push. If not, go in full tank mode and get Jeremy Tyler and Charles Jenkins some heavy minutes. Another season of losing would be more tolerable this season since it's a shortened one.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:37 pm
Look at Cleveland and Sacramento. You guys really think Hickson's gonna make a difference in the win column?

I like the idea of bringing him on board. The Kings got burned cause they figured they could bring him in to start and he's really not a great player, but he's a good enough one to play a defensive/rebounding roll in short stints for a team. What makes it a good fit for next year is that Hickson shows considerable competence as a finisher when paired with good playmakers. A 4 of Curry, Thompson, Lee, and McGuire would look good with Hickson, but he's not a difference-maker: just a decent backup with a decent ceiling who could come into his own if he develops a way to initiate his own offense.

C+ signing

Not a huge difference, but we needed a backup 4/5 with the trade of Udoh. In the interim, he may start in place of the completely washed up Andris Biedrins who shows zero effort every minute he's on the floor.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm
I agree with 32. He can be a decent backup PF with the loss of Udoh. I think he is recovering from injury too, so it is more of a test run. Dont think he will be much of a factor in the W colomn. Also look at it this way, if we don't get our pick back we will need a backup PF. Who will be our backup bigs next year? Andris? Tyler? We
Need another, would rather not see McGuire play the 4 and 5. I like home at the 3, if we resign him.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 pm
news says Portland claims him off waivers... mute point i guess. Hopefully he helps Portland wins some games so that we cannot catch up to them. They look pretty bad right now. Maybe we take a peak at Oden, see how his knee is coming along? Backup C for next year....

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm
I'm surprised the Warriors thought he'd clear waivers. I know he's had a bad season, but there was bound to be someone somewhere willing to pick up his salary (which is a pretty meager $2.3 mil). Good sign for Portland.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:18 pm
Report says that dubs didn't have enough cap space to claim him off waivers or else thy would have...

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 am
Would've liked to see him coming off the bench next season, but not huge loss. The bigger issue here is the capspace should be interesting how that works out.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Report says that dubs didn't have enough cap space to claim him off waivers or else thy would have...

One more reason to appreciate blowing that amnesty clause on Chuckles Bell.

Christ, what a blunder. Seems for all his savvy in the draft, Riles and co haven't been the greatest at managing money. Overpaid Kwame, underutilized the amnesty... Free agency will be a telling period of time for this regime. Granted, Lacob has said spending is not an issue, but that doesn't mean we can flat out mismanage.

Return to Warriors Basketball