2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:17 pm
Yeh I meant Joe. As for Bobcats the ridiculous thing is that by finishing last they have the most chance of landing No1. To be precise they have 25% chance of keeping it. But that means they have a 75% of loosing it. Ain't life a bitch?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I'm still not sold on anyone that can be drafted at #7 that will significantly help this team. Myers also said that he's not interested in adding 4 rookies. So trading up is an option. I don't think Charlotte, if they land the top pick, would be willing to deal since Anthony Davis is one of the only franchise type player in the draft, but if Washington stays at #2, its a spot the Warriors can move into. I'd offer the 7th, 26th and one of the second rounders to move to the 2nd pick.

Washington could be a willing trade partner, but to move up to #2, it will take giving too much. I think all the moves we need to make can be done through trading if the team keeps their pick and it stays at #7. I think DWright can be traded for a furutre 2nd rounder and that should be enough to open up salary to get a pretty good free agent if needed. Getting a very good SF to start here is not as difficult as some might think. The #7 pick and an expirer like DWright can be enough to get a good trade done. The rest of the roster can pretty much stay as it is.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm
Fab Melo

ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford considers Syracuse's Fab Melo to be the 23rd-best prospect on his Top 100 list and the fourth-best center prospect, behind UConn's Andre Drummond (No. 1), UNC's Tyler Zeller (No. 2) and Illinois' Meyers Leonard (No. 3).

It's not a lack of talent that caused Ford to keep Melo out of the elite rankings. Ford noted in late March that the 7-foot Melo is already prepared to make an impact at the next level as a shot blocker but added that the big fella "is still very raw offensively" and has "struggled to stay in shape in the past."

With that last part in mind, it's noteworthy that Ford had this to say about Melo after watching him work out on Friday.

"Fab Melo is in the best shape of his life," Ford said. "His body looks much leaner/tighter. That will be a huge key for him."

At this point, Melo likely will go later in the first round -- Ford has the Boston Celtics drafting Melo 21st in his Mock Draft 4.0 -- but his stock could rise if more positive news like this comes about as the draft nears.

You can never have too many big men. Hopefully we can get this guy with San Antonio's 1st round pick if we decide to keep it.

Perry Jones III

There was a really big article the Chad Form (espn) wrote on Perry Jones talking about how he played out of position at Baylor. The workout he had recently highlighted his "wing" abilities comparing him to Paul George who plays the 2 and 3. At first my reaction was that I didn't want another Anthony Randolph type of player but once Ford drew out the Paul George comparison it made me think twice. He also mentioned that George fell to the 10th pick and how teams are now regret passing him up.

It's such a love-hate relationship. You have on your hands what could be a Paul George type of player, but at the same time, you recently experienced a bust like Randolph. Like I said, at first I didn't want anything to do with him, but now I'm on the fence.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm
MKG, Barbes, PJ3

In that order.

A guy like Sullinger is a nice thought, but if we're drafting the best talent available for our need, we're looking SF early.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:01 pm
Jesus, Perry Jones is a bust. He has next to no motivation. He has alot of talent, probably the most talent of anyone in this draft, but so many have said, and from the few games I saw him in, that he has no heart and will fail in the nba.

Barnes would be alright, but Sullinger looks like he has the skills to be a constant contributor off the bench for a whole career. He has little athleticism and height for a Center, but he has many moves and already complete skills. He is not a risk, but isn't a SF either, so wouldn't be a starter for us, though that would not be a problem because he would be a good backup.

I'm all for trading to get MKG if we are looking to trade for another draft position or player after the draft. I do think he could well be available at #4, so doing a trade with NO or even Cleveland could be a good enough move.

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:29 am
You're right about him not having any motivation. I don't see any fight in him either. He seems really complacent and nonchalant but there are people who are like that who have NBA careers. People who come to mind are JR Smith, Andrew Bynum, and Carmelo Anthony to name a few players who gets by on pure talent and body type. Do I want those type of players in terms of attitude, work ethic, and competitive fire? Probably not. But on talent alone it's hard to ignore.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:23 pm
That being said, you can't argue with his talent.

He's certainly not my first pick, but PJ3 is not a bad choice if he's the only premier wing prospect left.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 pm
Like or not, teams usually don't pass up on talented players based on psychological issues. Terrence Williams was an 11th overall pick a few years back and teams were we'll aware of his problems. You can't question his talent either.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm
Hopefully another team picks Perry Jones ahead of us, leaving the good players to be picked. That's just how I feel. This franchise needs sure things after all the mess over the years.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Scenarios. Reading the mock draft's you get the feeling that:
1. If Barnes get selected ahead of us we get beal
2. If Beal gets selected ahead of us we get Barnes
Both selections gives us intriguing possibilities.

a. We draft Barnes. In that case i would try to trade him with a rookie or a veteran for MKG . Bobcats would still get a promising SF plus other pieces and i would get a more fitting to my team SF who could start right away.
b. We draft Beal I would then trade him for Iguodala, Sixers would get a SG, short out the loaded SF position plus adding a veteran in Biebdrish maybe plus cup relief and i would get the SF i need to be relevant again in this league.
By all means i don't want PJones because lack of interest and fighting spirit is the last thing i want from my promising rookie i tanked my season to get.
Sulinger, Hmm. Not so sure he will ever be better than Lee. Good in offence, not so good in defence, not athletic like Lee, don't know if he can rebound better plus he is a rookie, i am not so sure about what there is to gain from selecting him. The next Lee?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 pm
I can't believe Beal will still be there by 7.

Barnes, maybe, but Beal should be gone by the 5th pick.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm
If we trade up and get Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, or just select Harrison Barnes, I would be happy with our draft. We would then have our whole fixed, and if we draft Melo in the second, or some other good prospect big, I'd be thrilled. There's one guy from Serbia, dude's 7-4...but I haven't watched him really. But he's supposed to be very mobile for his size, and it's always nice to get a big guy. I'm not saying that because he's from over here, never watched him, I was just looking for some tall guys for our team.

Here:
http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospects/dusan-cantekin/

Anyway, Barnes or Kidd-Gilchrist, and I'm already happy...wouldn't even trade them, cause I believe both guys will be great players in the future.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 pm
I don't think Barnes fills the hole at SF, at least not properly, but if we pick him, hopefully I'm wrong and he is very good. Just don't think MKG is attainable, not unless it is the Bobcats with their awful decision making and even then we'd likely have to give Klay as well as the #7 pick. I wouldn't do that, UNLESS we can get a starting SG in free agency or a trade using one of the two bad contracts, which itself is unlikely. I'm not as high on Klay as most are and think there are quite a number of nba SGs that are as good if not better than him.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 pm
Reading rumors, it all but seems that Myers will try to move the pick for an established player. Danny Granger, Josh Smith, Rudy Gay, Nicolas Batum and Andre Iguodala are all names that have been thrown out there. I like all the names, but they seem unattainable and the one that is (Batum) isn't much better than anyone they could select at #7. The Warriors really don't have that many other assets to trade besides the pick(s).

Josh Smith is a long shot, but I think he would be the perfect fit for this team. He's 26 years old, athletic and a great defender. He's not going to demand the ball and can distribute as well. I'd drool at a front court of Smith, Lee and a healthy Bogut with a healthy Curry and Thompson in the backcourt. Thats a team that can leapfrog a team like the Clippers in the standings. And the big if is...if they can stay healthy. I'd give up the 7th, 30th and Jefferson to grab Smith. I think it would be a good deal for both teams. Then package the 2 second rounders to move into the late first round to grab Tony Wroten. Maybe even doing what they did last year with Jeremy Tyler and buy another second round pick to take Henry Sims, who is a guy that I think is well underrated with a game similar to Roy Hibbert's but being 6'11 and not 7'2. Re-sign McGuire and retain Brandon Rush. This team will be ready to roll.

Line up:

PG Stephen Curry - Tony Wroten - Charles Jenkins
SG Klay Thompson - Brandon Rush
SF Josh Smith - Dorell Wright - Dominic McGuire
PF David Lee - Jeremy Tyler - Dominic McGuire
C Andrew Bogut - Andris Biedrins - Henry Sims
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:31 pm
Where are you reading these rumours?

I thought JSmith would have been good at SF, but truth is he was lacking a bit there and is much better at PF. Iguodala is better at SF and salary wise both make alot so I'd rather Iguodala right now only because he is a true SF and can distribute and shoot from outside better.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball