2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:46 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:The strategy should be draft the best players available, not for need.

I totally agree; but as you said, AD, MKG, T-Rob, Drummond, Beal, and Barnes are the obvious top 6 players in the draft. That means if the Warriors want to go for a home run and find a starting 3, Terence Jones or PJ3 are gonna happen. If they want a backup big, they should take Sullinger. If they're for real about their need to a point, Damian Lillard should still be there. And out of all those guys, my gut tells me they think Perry Jones III can be a special player (while everyone else available has a lower ceiling). I don't want him, but I can see us taking him. Call it a hunch. I hope I'm wrong.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 am
Ohio State power forward Jared Sullinger has always heard people criticizing his ability to be a successful basketball player and he's had enough of the negativity.

"Everybody is overanalyzing my game," Sullinger tells the Akron Beacon-Journal "I'm always the bad guy in every gym. Everybody says I can't do this or that, everybody points out all the negative things I do. There's a lot of positives I think I do, but that's not for me to discuss."

Sullinger did measure 6-9 in his shoes at the NBA pre-draft camp in Chicago, which isn't bad for the power forward position. Sullinger worked on his game this season and he shot 40 percent on three-pointers. That ability to make shots from the perimeter will help him score against taller defenders in the NBA.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford has New Orleans selecting the Ohio State power forward with the No. 10 selection in his latest mock draft.


Top 5 is Drummond, Beal, Davis, Robinson, and MKG. If they're all gone I was Sullinger. I'm not as thrilled with Barnes as some people are in this thread.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 am
An outside jumper will be excellent for Sullinger's transition. Do you buy the 40% clip?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Rookie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 pm
Location: Hayward
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:49 pm
If PJ3 is left on the board, along with Sullinger,
Lillard, & T. Jones; I'd much rather trade down
for a vet SF. Jefferson & D.Wright are not gonna cut
it at starting SF next season. To be completely honest
with you, I'd want to have Dom Dom come back the most .
Cheap,Stellar defense, good rebounder, & tough.

Maybe it'd be possible to get Iggy, Batum ...

but if we can package
7th pick + d.wright (or Jefferson) along with AB
for: Luol Deng, Bulls 29th pick , & Asik I'd do it.

But don't listen to me. I take Bath Salts
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 pm
+1

Bath salts or not, you get a thumbs up.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:31 pm
32 wrote:An outside jumper will be excellent for Sullinger's transition. Do you buy the 40% clip?


Not sure I do, but jeez. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a Kevin Love in our hands?

...I'll keep dreaming.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:00 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:The strategy should be draft the best players available, not for need.

I don't think the warriors should move up for the 2nd or 3rd pick, unless they really robbing a team. This is a great draft, and that 7th pick will guarantee them a solid piece. Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, MKG, Beal, Robinson, and Barnes are top 6. Odds of one of them being there at 7 are high, and I would settle on choosing any of these 6 (even Drummond, who is a risk). If all 6 happen to be chosen, then trade out into the teens (while getting another first rounder for next year). But that won't be likely unless Michael Jordan continues making poor decisions.

Now, I think they should try moving up from that 30th pick, and try getting into the late teens or early 20's, and try nabbing a player that so happens to slip that far. Terrence Jones might be down there. Zeller maybe. Austin Rivers might fall. Fab Melo might be a risk if he drops down. Even Kendall Marshall, who is like Rondo (minus the athleticism... ok a poor man's rondo). None of those guys will be available at 30, but 20? I think at least one or two will be available.

If we draft a big with the first pick, choose a small with the second. And vice versa.

I think the strategy should be that the warriors forget going for a star this year. Continue to build on the nucleus we already have. Build up this team to where we are better. We aren't going to attract free agents this season, unless we break the bank. SO lets not pursue guys (maybe a backup PG like Kidd, but that is it). Keep what we have. Draft smart with 2 new players (who will serve as role players for the 2012 season). And bank on 2013 grabbing that final piece (either at SG or SF) to help lead us in a successful playoff run.

Curry-KIdd -Jenkins
Thompson- Rookie SG/SF
Rush (or McGuire)- Wright- Jefferson
Lee- Rookie PF/C
Bogut- Tyler- Biedrens



To me, we either make a trade for a very good starting SF, using the #7 most likely, or we just keep it simple and draft either Barnes, who would slot in as the starting SF, or Sullinger, who would fill the big need as well of a good backup big, which we really have none right now. Then pick at #30 or trade it away for a backup big preferably.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:09 pm
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:An outside jumper will be excellent for Sullinger's transition. Do you buy the 40% clip?


Not sure I do, but jeez. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a Kevin Love in our hands?

...I'll keep dreaming.



If that is true about Sullinger having that good of anoutside shot, then he is more than just a post player. That makes him a very feasible keeper if we draft him and can't make a trade for a very good SF.

Anything Kevin Love is amazing and right there it makes you want to pick Sullinger and keep him.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:An outside jumper will be excellent for Sullinger's transition. Do you buy the 40% clip?


Not sure I do, but jeez. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a Kevin Love in our hands?

...I'll keep dreaming.



If that is true about Sullinger having that good of anoutside shot, then he is more than just a post player. That makes him a very feasible keeper if we draft him and can't make a trade for a very good SF.

Anything Kevin Love is amazing and right there it makes you want to pick Sullinger and keep him.

If Sullinger could hit three's at a 40% clip (even in practice), he'd be a consensus top 4 talent.

I've only seen Sully ball outside the tournament twice... And the outside (hell, even the midrange) never seemed to come into play. If he can score from outside of 10-feet, I'd love to take him if the big 6 go early. And if he can hit it from the 3-point line, I'd take him over Barnes.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:37 pm
Just some of my random thoughts about the draft...

I want to win NOW - and I think we're already in the position to with or without draft and trades. A lot of who to select depends on if we retain Rush, McGuire... The two battling questions to me to address for the draft is whether they try to get a starting SF (draft or trade) or draft for insurance (bigman behind Lee or Bogut). Then again, J Tyler or Biedrins may be serviceable in those bench roles. I changed my mind about taking Sullinger or Drummond, just seems like a wasted pick and wasted opportunity. Their roles would be certain bench players. That's not appealing considering the chance to dramatically upgrade a starter position by snabbing Iggy or Josh Smith. In other forums- I've seen some snub their nose at Iguadala, etc because of the contract. Dudes I think if that opportunity is there, it's worth it. Immediate upgrade for a position that needs upgrading. Iguadala would be a perfect fit. You go from an 8th 7th spot to maybe 5th or 4th. Teams are aging. Lakers, Spurs should be worse in the next 2 yrs. Getting Iggy puts us in Grizzlies territory, and with luck, a chance at the WCF. I'll take being the Atlanta Hawks, playoff team but not contending. This franchise needs 1 in the hand instead of 2 in the bush - and the scenario for that would be trading the pick, even if it's cap space hell for a couple yrs. And if getting Iguadala could shed deadweight like RJ or Beans, it's a no-brainer trade. I WANT to be the Atlanta Hawks. Beats being the Clippers for 20 yrs. And when you're the Hawks, you have a little luck go your way, maybe a lucky draft pick down the road, and you're right there in contention. Warriors need to be in the playoffs, consistently, that's the bottom line and it's about time. And the moves they make to assure that - like getting a vet that immediately upgrades the talent - should be the priority. Assurance should be the priority for a franchise that's had such an up and down history. What assures a higher playoff spot -- Iguadala or any draft pick not named Anthony Davis.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:42 pm
I'm all for getting Iguodala. If it were up to me, our targets should be ordered as: Rudy Gay > Andre Iguodala > Danny Granger.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:54 pm
32 wrote:I'm all for getting Iguodala. If it were up to me, our targets should be ordered as: Rudy Gay > Andre Iguodala > Danny Granger.


dude... I'd go the exact opposite.. lol
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:56 pm
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:I'm all for getting Iguodala. If it were up to me, our targets should be ordered as: Rudy Gay > Andre Iguodala > Danny Granger.


dude... I'd go the exact opposite.. lol


that'll probably change though... granger got obliterated by bron bron in their series with the heat. Iggy would've done a better job defensively. With that in mind I'd probably go Iggy > Granger > Gay
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 pm
rockyBeli wrote:Just some of my random thoughts about the draft...

I want to win NOW - and I think we're already in the position to with or without draft and trades. A lot of who to select depends on if we retain Rush, McGuire... The two battling questions to me to address for the draft is whether they try to get a starting SF (draft or trade) or draft for insurance (bigman behind Lee or Bogut). Then again, J Tyler or Biedrins may be serviceable in those bench roles. I changed my mind about taking Sullinger or Drummond, just seems like a wasted pick and wasted opportunity. Their roles would be certain bench players. That's not appealing considering the chance to dramatically upgrade a starter position by snabbing Iggy or Josh Smith. In other forums- I've seen some snub their nose at Iguadala, etc because of the contract. Dudes I think if that opportunity is there, it's worth it. Immediate upgrade for a position that needs upgrading. Iguadala would be a perfect fit. You go from an 8th 7th spot to maybe 5th or 4th. Teams are aging. Lakers, Spurs should be worse in the next 2 yrs. Getting Iggy puts us in Grizzlies territory, and with luck, a chance at the WCF. I'll take being the Atlanta Hawks, playoff team but not contending. This franchise needs 1 in the hand instead of 2 in the bush - and the scenario for that would be trading the pick, even if it's cap space hell for a couple yrs. And if getting Iguadala could shed deadweight like RJ or Beans, it's a no-brainer trade. I WANT to be the Atlanta Hawks. Beats being the Clippers for 20 yrs. And when you're the Hawks, you have a little luck go your way, maybe a lucky draft pick down the road, and you're right there in contention. Warriors need to be in the playoffs, consistently, that's the bottom line and it's about time. And the moves they make to assure that - like getting a vet that immediately upgrades the talent - should be the priority. Assurance should be the priority for a franchise that's had such an up and down history. What assures a higher playoff spot -- Iguadala or any draft pick not named Anthony Davis.



That was beautifully said.

I'd like that too, being a constant playoff team, even losing in the 1st round half the time, than being a constant nonplayoff team. I've had it with the losing of the last twenty years and want at least ten straight of winning, even with no championship.

However, the aim is to win championships and that's what the FO has to work to build. That starts with getting at least one superstar and improving. So, if the opportubities are there, you have to improve and I think it starts with getting a very good SF, like Iguodala or GWallace.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am
8th ave wrote:
8th ave wrote:
32 wrote:I'm all for getting Iguodala. If it were up to me, our targets should be ordered as: Rudy Gay > Andre Iguodala > Danny Granger.


dude... I'd go the exact opposite.. lol


that'll probably change though... granger got obliterated by bron bron in their series with the heat. Iggy would've done a better job defensively. With that in mind I'd probably go Iggy > Granger > Gay

Yeah, Granger looked like a defensive stopper when he came in (and he's still above average, no doubt) but he's evolved into sort of a spot-up three-point shooter. Iggy and Gay are much closer in comparison for me.

The fact remains, this team needs a go-to scorer. A lotta people are glossing that over, ready to put the mantle on Klay Thompson after a short rookie stint and I just believe a closer, a frontline option that can get you a basket when you're down by 1 with 8 seconds left... That's something we need.

More than a wing defender, I'd wager. Yes, Iggy is sexy cause he's a lockdown defender, but whether fans admit it or not (and most won't), McGuire can fill that role. He is a bonafide, hard nosed, defensive 3. We have someone like that already. We DON'T have someone like Rudy Gay.

You gotta remember: the Bogut trade improved our team OVERALL, but we took a hit offensively. To get better the quickest way possible, we need a go-to scorer.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests