2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:20 pm
Where did you hear Bobcats didn't want the #2? I'd doubt that.

I like MKG, but I also think Iguodala is better and would come cheaper and easier. #7 and RJ or AB should be enough to get Iggy, but not enough to get the #2 which would give us MKG. It'd be #7 plus Klay at least to get that.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 pm
migya wrote:Where did you hear Bobcats didn't want the #2? I'd doubt that.

I like MKG, but I also think Iguodala is better and would come cheaper and easier. #7 and RJ or AB should be enough to get Iggy, but not enough to get the #2 which would give us MKG. It'd be #7 plus Klay at least to get that.

I would only do that trade if Robinson or Drummond don't fall. While it may not cost us as much in assets, we will have A LOT of money locked up with Curry's extension looming. If Lacob is willing to go over the tax for a couple years it's fine, but our flexibility to improve the team hurts and we better hope to get some solid backup bigs with out late lotto picks.

I've heard Sacto is high on Henson and Cavs are really high on Barnes (can't always belive the smokescreens). Leaves a possibility of Robinson (doubt Portland takes him) or Drummond falling (Portland probably would take him) but we could at least be in position to trade up and get one without too much cost if he falls past Washington. If the picks available are Sullinger/Marshall/ Lamb/ Beal/ Jones are the choices I'd be ok with a trade.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 am
It was all over the draft day coverage; most journalists hypothesized that Charlotte (needing someone who could contribute now) will be a seller in this year's draft. Of course they can't write anything on behalf of the Bobcats (tampering), but let's see if the Bobcats keep that pick... Cause word is, they're looking to trade it for immediate talent. Turning the #2 pick into Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes would help a lot.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am
I wouldn't be opposed in including Klay to move into the 2-3 spots of the draft. I doubt that New Orleans would be ready to give up Anthony Davis, but I can see Charlotte making the move, as well as Washington. The only problem is that I'm not sold on MKG. He's going to be a good player, but when you invest that much into someone, you're expecting great. You expect a player to come in and turn this franchise around and MKG isn't that kind of player. Andre Drummond and Thomas Robinson both have a much higher ceiling than MKG. Perry Jones, IMO, has a higher ceiling and if he gets a fire burning inside, he could turn out to be one of the best players in this draft, but thats a big "if". Unless they're ready to get rid of David Lee, which I don't think they are, then trading the pick for a veteran SF is probably the choice that makes the most sense.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 am
Thomas Robinson is my dude; if we get the #2 pick, I'd be happiest with him. That being said, MKG is the best fit for this team. Drummond and PJ3 both scare me with their motor issues, Jones more so than Andre.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:39 pm
I don't think Charlotte will trade the #2 for anything less than a very good player or two. Maybe they'll go after Gay and maybe they'll even get him and a resigned Mayo or something like that. The #7 and Klay would not be enough.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 am
You never know. I think they're in rebuilding mode, so a proven piece like Thompson (coupled with a high lottery pick) makes a lot of sense. If they're in win-now mode, they'll probably go after someone like Gay.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Good point, they probably just want to get as much talent as possible, as many good player to replace the horrible ones they've got, as soon as they can. Reckon they'll be getting alot of offers for that #2. I'd start with offering Klay and #7 for #2, who knows, they might bite. I wouldn't be opposed to adding the #30 if needed either.

If we got the #2, I'd really be looking to get a superstar out of that and I don't think anyone other that ADavis will be anything like a superstar out of this draft. MKG maybe. Maybe then trade the #2 and Lee for a superstar or even #2 and Klay for #1 and get ADavis. The team would still have a hole at SF and now SG, but you can make another trade to fill at least one of those positions. Getting a franchise player in ADavis and having him next to Bogut would right there make the team capable of building a champion. Curry and those two is a great trio. Look to get a cheap allstar type, like Iguodala for relatively cheap, like RJ and resigned Rush, throw in #30 if needed. You fill the other spots now vacant rather easily and in one or two years, have a top 4 team for sure.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 am
32 wrote:Thomas Robinson is my dude; if we get the #2 pick, I'd be happiest with him. That being said, MKG is the best fit for this team. Drummond and PJ3 both scare me with their motor issues, Jones more so than Andre.

:D LOVE Thomas Robinson. I think he can immediately have a Griffin (or maybe a rich man's Faried is best comparison) like impact on offense and a better one on defense. Combination of strength and athleticism is elite. Can put the ball on the floor, has great hands. Also established postion well to get the ball close to the basket where he can use his speed and explosiveness. If he gets a jumpshot he will be a borderline superstar. Even when his shot doesn't fall, he'll still be able to affect the game.

And I think Drummond is getting a real bad rap. If he fell to us I'd take him with no hesitations. He was picking up the college game all while his team essentially quit. Calhoun (probably the only reason he went there) had health issues all year and was absent, the team had massive losing streaks and Napier was very inconsistent with his PG play. I think if you have a coach the will challenge him and a PG to help get him involved he will be a BEAST, even if he doesn't develop great skills.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:18 pm
Gonna take your word on Drummond, I admittedly only saw him play three times and there's no doubt he's physically gifted, but I must have caught him on off nights cause he seemed awfully pedestrian... And that quality will only look worse in the NBA, where his gifts could for less.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:58 pm
Well I think we can now safely say there's no way Robinson falls to us at 7 (and I doubt we trade up for him) now that the combine measurements are out:
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
Thomas Robinson measured a 35.5 inch vert. Very good for a player his size. Blake Griffin also has a 35.5

Some other measurements:

Griffin 6'8.5" w/o shoes, wingspan 6'11.25", weight 248 lbs, 8.2% body fat

Thomas 6'7.75" w/o shoes, wingspan 7'3.25", weight 244 lbs, 5% body fat

Drummond had ridiculous measurements. Guy has tree trunk legs. 6'11" with a 7'6" wingspan, 270 lbs (could easily add another 20), decent quickness and a 38" vertical :shock:

Get Hakeem to be his roommate and best friend or something, but there's no way you pass on that
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 pm
Drummond measured in at 6'11.75" with shoes. Thats a 7 footer in the NBA. He could be the next Dwight Howard with that size. He already has the body and athleticism, he just needs the motivation. I can see the draft going Davis, Drummond, Robinson, Beal (who measured in at 6'4.75" in shoes) and MKG in that order. Lillard is also getting rave reviews and can goto the Blazers who select right before the Warriors at #6.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 pm
It appears the Cav's are going to take Drummond with their pick. Nothing's for sure yet, but we can at least try and eliminate the ones we know for sure:

(1) New Orleans Hornets - Anthony Davis, PF/C
(2) Charlotte Bobcats - Thomas Robinson, PF *
(3) Washington Wizards - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, SF *
(4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Andre Drummond, C
(5) Sacramento Kings - ?
(6) Portland Trailblazers - ?
(7) Golden State Warriors - ?

* As the most talented, hyped players left at that point, I'm just assuming picks 2 & 3. If Charlotte doesn't pick Thomas Robinson, whoever trades them for their pick will. Either way, he won't last past #3. The only way he goes to the Wizards is if Charlotte pulls a classic MJ and selects Harrison Barnes cause he's a NC guy (won't happen).

So, that leaves Brad Beal as the most talented guy left. The Kings are sitting with Marcus Thornton, but could easily jump at the shot of getting Beal. Their 1, 3, and 5 positions are set with Thomas, Evans, and Cousins. That means they're looking 2 or 4 and Beal is the prize to be had with the available talent left.

(5) Sacramento Kings - Brad Beal, SG

As with the Kings, you gotta first look at what the Blazers need: and, aside from LaMarcus Alderige, it all looks up in the air. Assuming they think Wes Mathews is a keeper and they're not lying about their intent to retain Batum, that leaves the center and the point positions as their areas of need. That being said, Damian Lillard might make the most sense. It all hinges on their intent with Batum: if they honestly want him back, they'll take Lillard. But my head tells me they'll see Barnes on the board and nab him. He's cheaper and younger than Batum and does a lot of the same things.

(6) Portland Trailblazers, Harrison Barnes, SF

If this scenario plays out... I'm sorry to say it, but we're looking at a pick of either Perry Jones III, Terence Jones, or (possibly) Damian Lillard - even though I think the Dubs want a veteran PG. As many questions as he has, I think Bob Myers will turn PJ3 into Mark Jackson's project. If anyone outside of Doc Rivers can get something out of him, it's the reverend Mark Jackson. You could do a lot worse than a 6'11" forward with all the tools.

(7) Golden State Warriors, Perry Jones III, SF/PF #-o :-k
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:07 am
The FO won't go with a bust potential, so they won't go Perry Jones.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:10 am
The strategy should be draft the best players available, not for need.

I don't think the warriors should move up for the 2nd or 3rd pick, unless they really robbing a team. This is a great draft, and that 7th pick will guarantee them a solid piece. Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, MKG, Beal, Robinson, and Barnes are top 6. Odds of one of them being there at 7 are high, and I would settle on choosing any of these 6 (even Drummond, who is a risk). If all 6 happen to be chosen, then trade out into the teens (while getting another first rounder for next year). But that won't be likely unless Michael Jordan continues making poor decisions.

Now, I think they should try moving up from that 30th pick, and try getting into the late teens or early 20's, and try nabbing a player that so happens to slip that far. Terrence Jones might be down there. Zeller maybe. Austin Rivers might fall. Fab Melo might be a risk if he drops down. Even Kendall Marshall, who is like Rondo (minus the athleticism... ok a poor man's rondo). None of those guys will be available at 30, but 20? I think at least one or two will be available.

If we draft a big with the first pick, choose a small with the second. And vice versa.

I think the strategy should be that the warriors forget going for a star this year. Continue to build on the nucleus we already have. Build up this team to where we are better. We aren't going to attract free agents this season, unless we break the bank. SO lets not pursue guys (maybe a backup PG like Kidd, but that is it). Keep what we have. Draft smart with 2 new players (who will serve as role players for the 2012 season). And bank on 2013 grabbing that final piece (either at SG or SF) to help lead us in a successful playoff run.

Curry-KIdd -Jenkins
Thompson- Rookie SG/SF
Rush (or McGuire)- Wright- Jefferson
Lee- Rookie PF/C
Bogut- Tyler- Biedrens
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball