2012 draft choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 pm
I just don't know what to think of how this new front office think. I have a funny feeling they are going to draft players who are consider "safe" or "easy to coach" player for Mark Jackson to coach. The players that the Warriors going to pick at number 7 have flaws in their game where I'm not sure Mark Jackson has the ability to correct the flaw. Mark Jackson already new to coaching and have high expectation of going to the playoffs and trying to coach rookies out of their mistakes is a lot to do for Mark Jackson. I just feel he is the type of coach that heavily relies on players talent and skills than actually come up with game plans and adjustments that fit his roster and maximize their abilities.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:12 pm
I'd prefer a player that we know what he can do and will be a stable, pretty productive player, over a player that has "hype" and "potential" yet is not stable and likely to as much to be a bust than a very good player. This team has had enough of those types of players over the last twenty or so years and almost every time it has gone the bust direction.

The only rookies since Chris Webber that have gone good for the team or at least pretty good, that I can remember off the top of my head right now, are Jamison, JRich, Murphy, Monta, AB and Curry.

The team is now quite set it looks, after the Bogut trade, looking like a playoff team that should stay one for a few years, and proper players that are not a surprise, but a sure thing, is the only way to go.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 pm
My only concern about Josh Smith is...can he defend opposing small forwards and I believe he can at a high level. In no way am I comparing the two, but Lebron James plays some power forward as well as SF but still isn't the defender or rebounder of a Josh Smith, so why not right? I'm not looking at scoring because with Thompson, Curry, Lee and Bogut...there are enough scorers. I'm looking for a guy that can rebound, defend and share the ball which are three things that josh Smith does very well.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:11 am
I like Josh Smith, don't get me wrong, always have and I've said it on here a number of times over the last few years that I'd like to have him, but he has been his best at PF. He was good as a SF and maybe he could be again, but I'd rather a player that is a proven very good player as a SF, like GWallace or Iguodala.

JSmith had a far better season than either GWallace and Iguodala and that means alot, should to the Hawks FO too though it seems like it doesn't, but remember, he was a PF. I'd take him as our starting SF (how to get him since he is the best player in Atlanta and what they want is a good Center so they can put Horford at PF is another thing), but not for any of the best current four players, except maybe Klay. I don't see how you might see him as not a good scorer, as it seemed like you implied, because he scored almost 19pts a game this season. He is a very good scorer, rebounder and defender, close to a complete package. Getting him for the #7 and RJ or AB, throw in DWright if needed, would be getting better value than giving. It is just whether he can play and fit in as the SF here. It would be a monstrous starting frontline, perhaps the best rebounding one and two of the top ten defenders there is in the nba right now to me.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 am
Late to the party, but here are my top choices in order:

Sullinger
Barnes
Henson

I know Henson is a little strange at 7 but hear me out. He has great range on hus shot. His defensive timing is better than Udoh's. In college he played in a system that is closer to the NBA system than Baylors system.

Bogut and Henson would DOMINATE defensively.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:05 am
Yeah, but what are you gonna do with Lee? He will play at least 35 minutes per game, so that won't leave much space for Henson. Especially if the team wants to see more of Tyler. And now with Bogut at center (if healthy) there won't be that much minutes to spread around.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:Late to the party, but here are my top choices in order:

Sullinger
Barnes
Henson

I know Henson is a little strange at 7 but hear me out. He has great range on hus shot. His defensive timing is better than Udoh's. In college he played in a system that is closer to the NBA system than Baylors system.

Uh huh. Henson might be a Top 7 pick in Utah, but the Warriors are driven by ownership with winning championships in mind.

Nice dig at Udoh; too bad the Jazz didn't have HIM on the floor when Old Man Duncan went HAM on that whole squad. Pretty sure Al Jefferson was sucking his thumb off that pump fake and Milsap's been in an asylum, cradled in the fetal position crying his eyes out in the aftermath of that poster.

What's with all the Bogut hate on your guy's forum, anyway? You made that we have an actual center and YOUR team is the one sending 2 power forwards out to play the post? My, how the tables have turned since 2007. It's a shame Deron Willians hates Utah, otherwise you guys might have a chance at the 2nd round...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am
I know everyone is looking to upgrade the 3 position, but I want a big man. Will Wright and Jefferson cut it? Hopefully maybe, but in this league you can never have too many big men. I want to be in a position where if Bogut or Lee goes down, we have someone to come in and fill the role. Kinda like Minnesota without all the losses. So, my choice in this order is Sullinger, Zeller, Drummond, or Robinson in no particular order. Hopefully we can find a Chandler Parsons type player with our Spurs pick or with one of our 2nd round picks.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:21 am
The Golden State Warriors have been aggressive making deals under the new owners and Joe Lacob says their fans can expect it to continue.

"Just think about it. At the (2011) trade deadline, we had no (2012) draft picks, a small backcourt, David Lee and nothing else," Lacob tells Rusty Simmons of the San Francisco Chronicle. "Now, we have four picks, a bigger backcourt and Andrew Bogut to play alongside Lee. I think we've made huge, positive changes to this roster."

The team owns picks 7, 30, 36 and 52 in the draft and they will try to move up and their target might be Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Simmons writes: "General manager Bob Myers spent a long time with Charlotte Bobcats general manager Rich Cho in the lottery green room, sparking speculation that the Warriors might try to bundle their picks for the right to draft Kidd-Gilchrist at No. 2."

Via ESPN Insider
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am
Moving up to get Kidd-Gilchrist would be the best possible move. I hope that they can get that done...we would be set then. If we could then ship either Jefferson or Richardson to some team that want to have some cap space in a few years, for some second rounders or something...that would be fantastic.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 am
32 wrote:
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:Late to the party, but here are my top choices in order:

Sullinger
Barnes
Henson

Uh huh. Henson might be a Top 7 pick in Utah, but the Warriors are driven by ownership with winning championships in mind.

Nice dig at Udoh; too bad the Jazz didn't have HIM on the floor when Old Man Duncan went HAM on that whole squad. Pretty sure Al Jefferson was sucking his thumb off that pump fake and Milsap's been in an asylum, cradled in the fetal position crying his eyes out in the aftermath of that poster.

What's with all the Bogut hate on your guy's forum, anyway? You made that we have an actual center and YOUR team is the one sending 2 power forwards out to play the post? My, how the tables have turned since 2007. It's a shame Deron Willians hates Utah, otherwise you guys might have a chance at the 2nd round...

Where is all of this hate coming from? I said that I would prefer to take Sullinger then Barnes and if both are gone then look at Henson.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:38 am
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:
32 wrote:

Sullinger
Barnes
Henson

Where is all of this hate coming from? I said that I would prefer to take Sullinger then Barnes and if both are gone then look at Henson.

Why are you taking offense? Unless you're a Jazz fan, that response shouldn't offend you.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:40 pm
WarriorsBluesRocker wrote:Where is all of this hate coming from? I said that I would prefer to take Sullinger then Barnes and if both are gone then look at Henson.

The thing is, if both Sully and Barnes are off the board, that means either Beal or Drummond is still available. I'd rather take one of them than someone like Henson. Though for the record, I like Henson as well. Good work ethic, size, athleticism, defense, and rebounding. Just not a critical need, and probably a slight reach at #7.

But I agree with Guybrush, the ideal outcome is for us to come away with MKG. If by some chance, he falls to CLE at #4, and if Barnes is available at #7, I bet we could work out a swap with them pretty easily. Or, I think we could convince Charlotte to swap #2 for #7, but it'd take a lot (probably including Curry and both of our 2nds at the very least). Failing a shot at MKG, I like the idea of trying to use the #7 pick to bring in a legit vet SF (or packaging it with Curry and fillers to bring in a top PG).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm
O damn, welcome back, D4rk One! :D
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:26 pm
I like how this place blossoms even when a slightest things that involves Warriors happens. It really show that we have high expectations for next season, and that we have something to look forward to.

Hopefully there will be quite some number of us, regulars, here by the time season starts.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball