Thank you Chris Mullin...not!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm
The Warriors are retiring Chris Mullin's jersey and giving him a bobblehead night next week, which had me thinking. He was a great player and led us to the playoffs for a few years in the 80s/90s. Fine. But many of his moves as GM from 2004-09 still haunt us today! He is a reason why we still stink! Let's take a look shall we...

Under Mullin's watch as GM...
Drafted Biedrins and eventually gave him a 6yr/$63mil extension (FML)
Re-signed Foyle 6yr/$42mil (FML)
Signed Derek Fisher for 6yr/$37mil (Lakers only offered 3yr/$15mil!)
Traded Derek Fisher for crap (At least get something back in return)
Extended J.Rich 6yr/$70mil (Justified)
Traded J.Rich for Brandan Wright (WTF)
Extended Troy Murphy 6yr/$58mil (Meh...)
Extended Dunleavy 5yr/$44mil (WTF)
Drafted Ike Diogu, Patrick O'Bryant, and Anthony Randolph (FML)
Signed Turiaf 4yr/$17mil (Meh...)
Signed Maggette 5yr/$50mil (FML)
Traded 1st rd pick for Marcus Williams (FMLx1000)
Extended Stephen Jackson 3yrs/$28mil (Meh...)

Albeit, Cohan and Co. had a lot to do with these decisions. But, Mullin was the GM!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 pm
You've done a lot of hating on this board with our former front office staffs Sura. (its justified)

I just hope that this isnt a trend of you being negative nancy all the time :mrgreen:

BTW... mullin had nothing to with SJAX extension. He was a lame duck turning up to receive a pay cheque & that little Chris Cohen weasel (cant remember the name.. rob rowell?) he pulled the trigger on that deal.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 am
Cut Mullin a break. All our GM's have sucked it up. The important thing to note is that he turned it around by making the We Believe trade. I'm not convinced the JRich trade didn't have some of Don Nelson's meddling fingerprints on it. If not, yeah horrible trade by Mully. But o well, his #'s getting retired as a player not GM.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 am
Bottom line: Mullin got us to the playoffs once in his 4-year tenure. It was the only appearance in what looks like it'll be a 20-year period.

You can't list his flaws as GM without listing what else he did:

- Stole a motivated Baron Davis from Charlotte in exchange for Dale Davis, Speedy Claxton, and 3 magic beans
- Again, STOLE a starting forward tandem of SJackson and Al Harrington for a busted project (Diogu) and 2 bad contracts (Dun, Murph).
- Plucked Monta Ellis in the 2nd round
- Undid his early contract mistake by getting rid of Fisher (who was, at the time, the best backup PG in the league)
- FOUND players like Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Anthony Morrow, and CJ Watson and signed them for dirt cheap

Really, you can't blame Mullin for a lotta the things you listed. #1, he didn't sign Corey Maggette. #2, trading Richardson for BWright was only half the story; if you recall, they obtained a trade exception that Mullin wanted to use to bring in Mike Miller (which Cohan vetoed, to save money). The BWright trade, also, was to set up a play for Kevin Garnett (which netted Boston a title, so I wouldn't exactly call it a bad move). Hell, Mullin had an extension in place to keep Baron Davis in GS (for cheaper than his Clippers deal), but Rowell vetoed it... And who knows how that would have ended up; as Baron played LEAGUES better in GS than he did on other teams.

Face facts, bro. Kawakami may have the whole Bay drinking hindsight bias koolaid to hate on Mullin, but he was easily the best GM we've had in 20 years. The architect of the We Believe squad.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 pm
Not many people could have done better than Mullin with what he had and the scum he had to work for :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:44 am
I think Mullin started off very slowly, especially by giving out a lot of the bad contracts Sura mentioned above. I think he got better later in his tenure, he didn't give out so many bad contracts and made two great trades getting Baron and Jackson/Harrington. The SJax extension was all Rowell. All in all, I think he was an average GM, which during Cohan's tenure means he was one of the better ones.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:00 pm
Mullin did start pretty average, but that trade getting Baron, then the trade getting Harrington and SJack for the awful dun and Murph, got the team to the playoffs for the first time in a long time and that amde him a good GM, not the best one. For his lack of experience, I think Mullin did quite well with what he had and making it better

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:25 pm
When it happened, I loved the Derek Fisher signing (we needed a vetran at that stage) & I thought we paid market value for Adonal Foyle.

But in Hindsight.. both terrible contracts that set this franchise back years.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:27 pm
Mullin worse skill was his lottery drafting.

Who the **** is Ike Digou I said when we took him?!?!?

The Brandon Wright/Anthony Randolph projects could of turned out different for this franchise had we not been committed to a Nellie Doghouse scholarship for rookies
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:33 pm
PAWNO wrote:Mullin worse skill was his lottery drafting.

Who the **** is Ike Digou I said when we took him?!?!?

The Brandon Wright/Anthony Randolph projects could of turned out different for this franchise had we not been committed to a Nellie Doghouse scholarship for rookies

Ike Diogu was a great pick at that point and as a fit for the team. He got such little court time and did awesome in the minutes he did get, scoring, rebounding and blocking shots so well. Can't remember anyone else scoring on the Pistons' Ben and Rasheed Wallace like he did. He was used wrong just like ARandolph, who should have been given many more minutes and made starting PF. BWright, now there was an awful player that was obtained by giving JRich.

Misuse is was it was and that goes for the Coaches, Nelson being the biggest culprit of not using the youngsters properly.

Return to Warriors Basketball