Warriors no MVP consideration is unfair

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1201
» Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:12 pm
We're talking about a team that's about to match 2015s win total, might even win a game more. Durant had an outstanding year up until injury. Then Curry completely took over.

Overall curry is having a similar season to 2 years ago and his first MVP year. And has made even more 3 pointers. But because of all the triple doubles he's not getting consideration? That's messed up. I bet if curry was on the Spurs he could help them get as good of a record as Leonard has.

On top of that without KD, curry beat all 3 MVP candidates in the west. Like how does that not even give curry consideration?

Furthermore why have I even heard Lebron being mentioned? Lebron is not having an MVP season and his team is not doing extremely well. And truth be told he's playing with more talent than most teams. So I don't understand Lebron's case.

Some say Lebron should be MVP every year. Why? He's playing with Kyrie Irving. Lots of shooters and good bench players. Love. When love went down that played 500 ball. In the East! Why does Lebron deserve to be MVP let alone every year?

Westbrook is having a great individual season. It's not despite of not having help it's because he has no superstar with him so he gets to use all the energy he has to deliberately go for numbers. What his stats say is more about his stamina and athleticism than his consistency.

James harden same thing...

So I'm not saying Curry is a clear cut MVP. But this is nonsense that he goes from unanimous MVP to not even in the discussion. The best team by far does not deserve a single candidate? Durant and cuer should both be in the discussion. And truth be told even green and klay should deserve an honerable mention.

The NBA has become about one man shows now? I'm not saying harden or Leonard shouldn't be MVP. But are you seriously telling me that a guy who made 300 3 pointers with ray Allen percentages on the team with 66 wins and beat all the MVP candidates without KD doesn't even deserve a thought? That is disrespectful and a joke. Let's just let all these one man show freaks on worse records get the MVP.

It's almost like the very thought of Warriors even getting a consideration has been banned. I mean let's be honest. If this was curry's first year and everyone was hyped, there's no way he wouldn't be talked about as a likely MVP.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22130
» Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:00 pm
I agree that both Curry and Durant should be close to if not in the top 5 MVP candidates. Seems like people want a new flavour. Curry's performance after Durant got injured, basically a month long, was arguably the best in the nba during that time.

I do think Lebron is having one of his best seasons statistically but the Cavs not winning anywhere near as much as the Warriors and even the Rockets should go against him, having a relatively healthy roster most of the season. There really is no reason why Lebron should be considered more than both Durant and Curry.

Harden has a case, as he is definitely the brains and talent that makes Houston work and he has had an alltime great season. He has talent around him but nothing major and certainly no other player that can even be considered allstar material. I think he should be runner up and ahead of Curry and Durant.

Westbrook has had arguably the greatest season ever for an individual in nba history. The real knock on him is his incredibly high usage rate. He has been clutch and has taken a mediocre team at best to the playoffs and a respectable record. He averaged a triple double and hit alot of game winners, more than most players have in a single season that I can remember and I think he should he should be the MVP.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 3959
» Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:00 pm
IMO, KD missed too much time to be in the race, LeBron struggled to win games down the stretch with 2 all-stars, Westbrook had a great INDIVIDUAL season, but that's not what the MVP award is all about.

I've posted the stats in 14-15 that it's always the best, standout player on the top 2-3 teams. According to history, Curry should be neck and neck with Harden, but everyone is so caught up with Westbrook's empty stats that he'll steal some votes.

Leonard just didn't do enough, but he's the only candidate from the no. 2 team.

Harden will win it, Westbrook will probably finish 2nd (unjustly so), and Steph should be around Kawhi, tied for 3rd.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 3959
» Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 pm
I also want to add that I think Steph would have won it if he had a handful more of 35+ or games.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5905
» Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:34 pm
share around the award.

I'm sure Curry/Durant aren't done having MVP worthy campaigns. their time will come again.

FWIW
my vote goes to low% Westbrook.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 3959
» Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm
PAWNO wrote:my vote goes to low% Westbrook.

IMO, a player who's team doesn't even finish in the top half of their bracket shouldn't be the MVP. Westbrook's numbers were amazing, but his actual performance was pale in comparison.

Westbrook's numbers were entirely manufactured a and I a result of bad basketball. I saw quite a few OKC games (not just vs the Dubs), he's​ always out of position defensively so he can grab those boards, and was straight stealing rebounds from his bigs. His assists came easy because teams knew that all they had to do was focus on him and live with the meager offense that created for the players around him.

You could put a number of top 20 players in that position and they'd produce similar stats. Don't get me wrong, Westbrook is a great player and athlete, but his triple-double season was the product of bad basketball.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5905
» Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:18 am
i think your over analysing it JREED.

I understand the kid has flaws. but at end of day it's the stat line stat sheet filler that people remember about the candidate.

I'd give the award to Curry again but i know the voters are only going to remember Russell averaging the triple double and thats why he will win the award.

I would hate to see harden win it. dude is a ballhog and does not make his teammates better.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22130
» Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 am
PAWNO wrote:i think your over analysing it JREED.

I understand the kid has flaws. but at end of day it's the stat line stat sheet filler that people remember about the candidate.

I'd give the award to Curry again but i know the voters are only going to remember Russell averaging the triple double and thats why he will win the award.

I would hate to see harden win it. dude is a ballhog and does not make his teammates better.



I disagree Pawno. I now think Harden should win. Westbrook has done very well but it is true that he looks quite a bit for his own stats and he certainly does look to get rebounds and gets out of position defensively to do so. Harden has had a great season and has made his middle of the line teammates better and carried that team to a good winning season.

I think Harden deserves it and he has been among the best the for a few seasons now.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 3959
» Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Migs and I are certainly in agreement here. Pawno, a year ago I would have agreed with you in the Harden vs Westbrook debate (Harden being basically what we're accusing Westbrook of being), and while both of them have been the biggest reasons for what success their teams have had, Harden's not only propelled the Rockets to a much better situation, but there's more evidence to suggest that his contributions have had far more of an impact.

For comparison:
Image

I'd gladly take Harden's scoring efficiency, assists, and team's success over Westbrook's 2.5 more rebounds (that he just steal from his bigs). Neither team is a playoff team without their respective star, but the Rcokets are a top 3 seed in the West.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1201
» Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 pm
Lol so now Westbrook eliminated in 5 games. So I guess this will influence voters to vote Harden for MVP?
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22130
» Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 am
Stairway Man wrote:Lol so now Westbrook eliminated in 5 games. So I guess this will influence voters to vote Harden for MVP?



Depending how you look at it but it should in a way. Westbrook's defense is only that his team is not that talented and so they couldn't win much but I don't think Houston is that talented either, with no other allstars as well. Harden really deserves alot of credit, as well as D'Antoni, for that team's success this season.

Harden's raw numbers may not look as good as Westbrook's but it is far more than the numbers and Harden has most of that "far more".
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 3959
» Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm
It will not influence votes because they're submitted prior to the playoffs - some writers posted their ballots on Twitter/blogs.

But let's not act like we didn't all see this coming. The Rockets were easily the better team, we didn't need the playoffs to tell us that.
User avatar

Starting Lineup
Posts: 851
» Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 pm
its the same reason why lebron doesn't win every single year people get used to that type of production as though it isn't a big deal anymore....realistically as much as I hate him lebron is the MVP every year

All Star
Posts: 2879
» Thu May 04, 2017 11:09 pm
nickdakoolkat wrote:its the same reason why lebron doesn't win every single year people get used to that type of production as though it isn't a big deal anymore....realistically as much as I hate him lebron is the MVP every year


Really thought-provoking posting...I like it and agree with your assessment, too.

BTW, I would like to see Draymond Green in the conversation for MVP, too!
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 3959
» Fri May 05, 2017 4:16 pm
nickdakoolkat wrote:its the same reason why lebron doesn't win every single year people get used to that type of production as though it isn't a big deal anymore....realistically as much as I hate him lebron is the MVP every year

Curry was definitely the MVP last season. If the argument for LBJ not winning it every year is everyone taking his production for granted - implying that he should win it every year for that reason - then Steph no doubt earned his MVP trophy last season justly over James given he had one of the, if not the, greatest seasons of all-time.

If the criteria is the player that had the single biggest impact on the game while on the floor, then Steph's last two MVPs were also well deserved, and he should win it again this year. The advanced metrics prove he's the most disruptive force in the league and, in many cases, of all-time. You should check out this article detailing why Curry is the "da real MVP:" https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... curry-mvp/

Because everyone loves pictures, from that article:Image

However, the criteria for MVP 95% of the time, and every seasons since the early 90s, is: The best player on the best team who was a clear MVP candidate and had MVP level stats (eg OKC was 2nd to SAS when KD won his, but SAS didn't have a clear MVP).

The only reason Westbrook is even in the discussion is because of the triple-double, had he averaged a couple less rebounds or assists then we probably wouldn't be talking about him.

Stats are king, especially conventional stats (pts, reb, ast, etc.) - the NBA world hasn't evolve quite enough to consider the more advanced metrics when deciding this sort of thing. Which is the only reason why Steph, or even LeBron, not being the favorite is "unfair."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests