Wolves, Cavs agree to Kevin trade

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 am
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11320 ... ment-place

The Minnesota Timberwolves have reached an agreement in principle to trade Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers for No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins, 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and a protected 2015 first-round draft pick, according to media reports.

ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported Monday that the Cavs and Timberwolves have a "handshake agreement" for a Love trade. Yahoo! Sports reported on Thursday that Love has committed to to opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with Cleveland next summer five years and $120 million-plus.

The trade cannot be finalized until Aug. 23.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:13 pm
Varejao will have to go as well for salary purposes but a good trade for both teams. If Bennett and Wiggins develop and become somewhere to what is expected they will be, Minnesota will be a better team than they ever were. Varejao is a very good dirty work player that fits pretty well next to Pekovic. Cleveland becomes a top 4 team in the nba.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:13 am
Expectations are high in Cleveland now, they are in the east so they will be top 3. Am interested to see how Wiggins turns out, he is still so young and will take time to develop.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:50 pm
My big question is this: can Minnesota also pick Dion Waiters from Cleveland? Because - while Wiggins is as good a prospect as it gets - I don't think a kid whose never laced up sneakers on an NBA court and the most busted #1 overall pick since Kwame is exactly a fair deal; certainly doesn't sound better than the Lee-Barnes packaged that we offered Minnesota. And since Dion Waiters insisted that he won't accept a bench role in any scenario with Cleveland, wouldn't one think that the Cavs would wanna ship that cancerous tumor out before he infects anymore egos in that locker room (particularly, since he put a mouse under Kyrie Irving's eye in practice last year)?

And, migs, I think you're mistaken. Bennett and Wiggins are both $5 million players, since they were #1 overall picks. That puts the deal at $10 million and since Love is a $15 million player, inserting Varejao (at $9 million) would put Minnesota over by $4 mil on the deal. I think it's more likely they get Waiters (whose worth $4 mil; exactly what they need) or a combination of salary filler (i.e., Brendan Haywood, John Lucas III, etc).

Only way I see Varejao going is if Minny includes an additional player with Love - such as Martin (at $6 million) like we were requesting. If the deal's for Love AND Martin, then I can see Varejao heading out... but, as it stands, LeBron's already tweeted about how happy he's going to be to play with Varejao again, so I can't imagine Cleveland would trade one of LeBron's favorite teammates as salary filler.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 am
I think one of Minnesota's conditions is that Cleveland also take KMartin, if not one other player, like Barea or Budinger. If Varejao doesn't go they'll likely have to find someone else to trade to make the salary up but we don't know what the exact trade is until it happens.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:55 pm
Good knowledge; I know Minny was trying to drop KMart on us the whole time we were talking with them, so you may be right in them insisting the Cavs take his deal.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 pm
Just read that Phoenix has offered Bledsoe for Love. It's a sure thing that Love will go to Cleveland but if the Suns want to offer a serious package it'll have to be a resigned Bledsoe and at the very least the Morris brothers. In fact, they'll probably have to give Gerald Green and one if not both the Morris twins, along with Bledsoe, for Love and KMartin, if salaries permit. I want Love to go East but it'd be something to see Lebron get swiped by Love not going there.

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:35 pm
migya wrote:Just read that Phoenix has offered Bledsoe for Love. It's a sure thing that Love will go to Cleveland but if the Suns want to offer a serious package it'll have to be a resigned Bledsoe and at the very least the Morris brothers. In fact, they'll probably have to give Gerald Green and one if not both the Morris twins, along with Bledsoe, for Love and KMartin, if salaries permit. I want Love to go East but it'd be something to see Lebron get swiped by Love not going there.

Well, it's a done deal so... What are we gonna do now? Seems like a stretch big was a linchpin for Kerr's offense. We have DLee spend every waking moment with the Splash Bros?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:11 pm
JREED wrote:
migya wrote:Just read that Phoenix has offered Bledsoe for Love. It's a sure thing that Love will go to Cleveland but if the Suns want to offer a serious package it'll have to be a resigned Bledsoe and at the very least the Morris brothers. In fact, they'll probably have to give Gerald Green and one if not both the Morris twins, along with Bledsoe, for Love and KMartin, if salaries permit. I want Love to go East but it'd be something to see Lebron get swiped by Love not going there.

Well, it's a done deal so... What are we gonna do now? Seems like a stretch big was a linchpin for Kerr's offense. We have DLee spend every waking moment with the Splash Bros?

Lee will look not underpaid in a year if more high salaries are handed out to somewhat average players. He still fits better than most PFs for us and it is better keeping him than trading him for lesser players.

Cleveland and Minnesota, even Philly to a lesser extent, did well with the Love trade. Cleveland kept Varejao, who will be needed for defense, though he is not really a shotblocker, he is a good defender. They didn't have to take on KMartin and any other undesirable player. Minnesota got the two last top picks and Young from Philly, only giving up Miami's future 1st rounder which should only be in the bottom half. They actually could be almost as good as they were with Love and they'll have a chance to see how Young fits in before pitching to him to stay after this season.

Return to Warriors Basketball