Dubs bench

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:08 am
Well now it's clear that our 2 new bigs aren't Carl Landry. He was an integral part of our team last year. Iggy hasn't shown he can be a clutch scorer. So without Jack and Landry, is it possible we're not as good? Douglas and Speights just don't seem like all around players. And now Iggy's playing back up point.

Any possibility we can still sign someone worthy with the 1 spot we have left for the roster? We need an offensive bench player.

Call me insane, but I say we move 2 starters to the bench to build some balance. I'd put Lee and Iggy on the bench.

Curry
Klay
Green
O'neal
Bogut

Bench
Douglas
Iguodala
Lee
Speights

If barnes comes back, I think the warriors should start 4 of their 6 core. THey didn't have Lee Or Iggy start in the playoffs last year. Lee was hurt and Iggy was on Denver. So it would make sense to have 2 on the bench for more balanced units.

Curry
Thompson
Green
Barnes
Bogut

Douglas
Bazemore
Iguodala
Lee
O'neal

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:39 am
I agree with having a spark off the bench…. but I disagree with iggy and lee on the bench. But i think once barnes comes back, possibly having Thompson as our sixth man can give the team a spark when he comes in. I still say Klay should play 34-36 minutes a night, but having him start at the bench and being in the end of close games is ideal for me.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:48 pm
There definately looks to be some deficiency from the bench so far. I think Barnes will be an obvious gun when he gets back, but at least two others need to contribute meaningfully for the team to be a serious contender.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 pm
Do u think H Barnes can replace Carl Landry? Though he was a rookie, we noticed last year that he has promising potential at the 4 and he has potential for posting up. Though a natural 3, he is not smaller than Landry. And he certainly can get up. If he can play both 4 and 3 well, then I see no problem with him coming off the bench and adding versatility. Usually we'll leave a starter in when the bench comes in to help him. If he can execute and get the job done, then him as a 6th man would be valuable. What if Bogut also played on the bench when Ezeli comes back? We won with Ezeli starting. We are really really top heavy and there is a big gap between our 6th man and 7th man. We can conserve energy by bringing a starter or two off the bench, then play all starters to close out.

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Lee
Ezeli

Douglas
Bazemore or leave Klay or Iggy in 2nd rotation
Green
Barnes
Bogut
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:30 pm
I don't like Speights thus far... No jumper for Speights means he's useless! He doesn't do anything else.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:07 pm
If our bench keeps on underperforming like this, I'd expect to see Barnes and/or Lee gone by the deadline.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:41 am
8th ave wrote:If our bench keeps on underperforming like this, I'd expect to see Barnes and/or Lee gone by the deadline.

I am not really following.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 am
Blackfoot wrote:
8th ave wrote:If our bench keeps on underperforming like this, I'd expect to see Barnes and/or Lee gone by the deadline.

I am not really following.

Trade chips to get more depth.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:28 pm
Maybe Lee, but I think it's a rule of thumb you don't trade cheap young talent under club control for depth.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:56 pm
No need to panic yet. We've only played 4 games and we haven't had Barnes for any of those games. I think when Douglas and Speights become more comfortable with their roles on this team, their game will improve. For the balance of the team, it would make sense to move Thompson back to the bench when Barnes returns. However, I don't think this should happen just yet as it would probably upset the chemistry of the team. Even though Thompson would probably score more points off the bench playing against the second unit, he deserves to start. If I was him, I'd be pissed off to lose my starting spot to Barnes who really only played a handful of good games in the playoffs. Barnes needs to come off the bench and prove to everyone that he deserves to start. He shouldn't be given the starting spot just on his potential.

It doesn't make sense to me to trade Lee or any of the starting 5 who are all playing exceptional basketball at the moment just to improve your bench. If the guys on the bench are not doing their job then you trade them for someone who will perform.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 am
Right Ringo. Too early to worry about these things. Plus, there will be some veterans out there who will ask to be traded for pennies. As long as we are in contention, we will be eligible for those type of players.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 am
I like the roster, both the starting lineup as well as the reserves.

The roster is deep, balanced, and will be called upon to play various roles throughout the season, especially with Curry and Bogut being injury-prone.

In many ways, this roster can be similar to the Al Attles-coached 1974-1975 Championship team's roster. Coach Jackson can play the hot hand (I am thinking Harrison Barnes right now as well as Draymond Green really lighting it up on some nights), rest his starters with his shock troops, and play an uptempo transition game as the opposition is sucking wind.

I have to hand it to the front office for putting together such a deep roster.

As fans, we are fortunate. Let's hope for the good fortune of good health, especially as it pertains to Curry and Bogut.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 pm
I actually think Klay would be that perfect spark off the bench when Barnes gets into shape. Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he won't be there in crunch time though. I'd still want 30+ minutes a game from him. I think Iguodala is a better compliment to Curry with his ability to drive and dish. Having two 3 point shooters out there at the same time for a good period of time makes them predictable and one-dimensional.

Line up:

PG Curry / Douglas / Nedovic
SG Iguodala / Thompson / Bazemore
SF Barnes / Green
PF Lee / Speights
C Bogut / O'Neal / Kuzmic
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 am
Toney douglas is showing promising signs. Plus he is a great defender. Speights I feel is our biggest weakness. At best, he's a big man jump shooter. He hasn't shown he can drive, post up, or do anything else. Jermaine is holding his own on the boards, but his offense has been very poor.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm
Mo Speights has played at, roughly, 50% of his potential thus far. He's a pick-n-pop shooter who hasn't shot well in 6 games. This trend of Jermaine O'Neal outplaying Speights won't last all season.

Speights is a career +16 PER player; last year for Cleveland, he was an 18.2. Landry was a 17.5 for us. Thus far, Speights is putting up a 9.2 PER (the lowest of his career). Considering Mo is also a superior rebounder and defender, I doubt we'll be mourning the loss of Landry all year... Especially considering Landry's numbers sharply declined for us when Bogut was in the lineup. Speights is a better fit for us.

The season's young. The bench unit has underperformed vastly. But make no mistake; Barnes-Speights-O'Neal is better, takent-wise, than Jefferson-Landry-Biedrins. We still have Green and Ezeli. And Jack's loss has been disguised by Tony's defense and Iggy's playmaking.

Give the bench time.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball